Considering I’m a true adult now and all, I figured I should start expanding my salad repertoire and get a little fancier.
Just kidding. I just had some rock hard bread that I didn’t want to go to waste.
Truth is I love carbs as much as the next runner gearing up for a big race, but when it comes to my salad, I’d rather have a side of bread to accompany it than to have it mixed in. But this. This crunchy, grainy goodness is worth a try.
- 1 C mixed greens (arugula, spinach, etc)
- 2 C cubed day old bread (I used half of a loaf of Trader Joe’s multigrain ciabatta)
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1/4 C cucumber, sliced
- 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 TBL feta cheese
- 2 TBL thinly sliced red onion
- 1 tsp spicy brown mustard
- 2 TBL champagne or cider vinegar
- 1 clove fresh garlic, minced (can sub garlic powder)
- olive oil
In a large bowl, combine mixed greens, tomato, cucumber, red onion, basil and feta. Set aside.
In a skillet or dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add bread cubes and toss until crispy and brown.
Whisk vinaigrette in a small bowl.
Toss all ingredients together and let sit for 10 minutes or so to let flavors combine.
A great lunch for a warm summer day. Enjoy!